Subject: Re: XFree86, Radeon 9200, and me.
To: Nicolas Joly <njoly@pasteur.fr>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 01/21/2004 09:19:38
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:08:25PM +0100, Nicolas Joly wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:39:30PM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > My understanding is that the new X11 build support in build.sh is
> > supposed to be working.  Is that correct?
> >
> > I have just updated my AMD64 box.  X on my Radeon 9200 card
> > has gone from working (with "vesa" and little or no acceleration)
> > to failure.
> >
> > In particular, X dies with a fatal error during its device probe.
> > This happens whether I launch with "X -configure" or move my
> > old (working) XF86Config to /etc and use "startx" as per normal.
> [...]
> > Anyone with expertise and interest for this?  Or should I grab a
> > binary X11 install from somewhere (or maybe re-install the old set
> > I had before)?  (Or is this a known problem?)
>
> I just had a look, and noticed that PCI access with XFree was broken on
> amd64 ...

Thanks.  I actually read some more of the info, and noticed that the
./build.sh wasn't (yet) supported for amd64.  All I'd gathered before
was how to do it.  (sheepish grin)

Instead of using the .../src/x11 sources and ./build.sh, I used
.../xsrc and "make build", which works.

> Can you try the following patches ?

Yes, I can try them.

What's the best way to build/install *just* the .../src/x11 tree?
I don't really need to re-install the rest of -current, since that
is already in place.  (^&

I haven't found what I need in the BUILDING document.

Or is this selective build/install not yet supported?

Or is it enough to build the whole thing and just copy over the main
X binary manually?

Thanks for the patches.  (^&