Subject: XFree86, Radeon 9200, and me.
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 01/20/2004 20:39:30
My understanding is that the new X11 build support in build.sh is
supposed to be working.  Is that correct?

I have just updated my AMD64 box.  X on my Radeon 9200 card
has gone from working (with "vesa" and little or no acceleration)
to failure.

In particular, X dies with a fatal error during its device probe.
This happens whether I launch with "X -configure" or move my
old (working) XF86Config to /etc and use "startx" as per normal.

I updated NetBSD sources last night, including X.

I built everything with build.sh; I did not use "-u".

Anyone with expertise and interest for this?  Or should I grab a
binary X11 install from somewhere (or maybe re-install the old set
I had before)?  (Or is this a known problem?)

I'm willing to play the kernel config game, and to try updating the
whole system a few more times.  But I'm not sure where to go with this.
And, eventually, I need the system to be back in a normal state (which
at an extreme would mean re-installing the snapshot I had before).

One thing I will mention that might be related: The device probe was
on the PCI bus.  I have found that with this machine, I had a lot
of problems in NetBSD device handling until I turned off ioapic
in my kernel config.  (That was either the subject of, or in the
audit trail of, a PR that I filed a ways back.)