Subject: Re: Xmac68k building with reachover tools
To: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 01/06/2004 09:04:41
At 9:08 PM -0600 1/4/04, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
>Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, David P. Reese Jr. wrote:
>>

>>>I didn't bother to hook Xmac68k to the native XFree 4.x build.  It takes
>>>about 20 hours to build X on the Quadra 700 that I have.
>>>

>>I can do that after you commit. It only takes about 6-8 hours on my
>>Quadra 630 (with NFS mounted source).
>
>I would donate time on my 840AV for the build, but I'm still in the
>midst of setting it up.  If this is more than a week out, I'll let
>you know when I get it up and going.

While the 80/40 Mhz 840AV is the fastest stock Mac68k ever made, it
will have an exaggerated example of the "local disks slower than NFS
mounts" issue mentioned with the 630 above when used with NetBSD.
This is because there is no support yet for the DMA SCSI engine, so
drive access is quite slow. There was work being done on it, but I
don't believe it's in a useful form yet.

Hope this helps,
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.