Subject: Re: The case for importing XFree86 4.4.0 RC1
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Perry E.Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 12/14/2003 09:30:18
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> writes:
> 4.4.0 is significant mainly because of the new IPv6 support,

It also supports a lot of newer cards. I think we have little choice
but to bring it in.

The most important issue from my point of view, though, is getting the
BSD makefile stuff right when we do this.

> The danger of inaction is that our timing will be off, and no one
> will want to risk XFree86 4.4.0 going in just as NetBSD 2.0 is nearing
> cut-off for release. That would be a shame. If, on the other hand, the
> RC goes in soon, it'll be well tested by that time. Patches from RC to
> final should be small, so if 4.4.0 final happens to be released just
> as NetBSD 2.0 is in the can, the pull-up to 4.4.0 final should not be
> an obstacle to the 2.0 release.

I think this is actually not going to be an issue in practice. In the
past, X upgrades have made things unstable for only a few days to a
week at most. I think we can risk that -- it isn't so bad. It is also
straightforward to pull up patches. This is not like the "I'm
reorganizing a major kernel subsystem today" problem that often hits
us just before release.

Speaking informally for release engineering, it would be nice if some
of the X gurus could tell us what the apparent 4.4.0 schedule looks
like at this point.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com