Subject: Re: releng-current
To: None <tron@zhadum.de>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/31/2003 13:06:28
Matthias Scheler wrote:

> In article <20031029174843.6035614401@tiamat.goathill.org>,
> mlh@goathill.org (MLH) writes:
>> Tried to, but make install fails right now:
>>
>> install.man in doc/man/GLU done
>> installing in /usr/xsrc/local/programs...
>> installing in /usr/xsrc/local/programs/x11-ssh-askpass...
>> make: don't know how to make
>> ../../../xfree/xc/exports/include/X11/Intrinsic.h.
>
> I've never seen that problem and there was not change recently which
> could have caused this. Are you sure that your copy of "xsrc" is
> allright? Did you try building with "MAKECONF" set to "/foobar" to
> be sure that none of your local settings interferes with the build?

The xsrc problem was fixed and builds now (new cvs update). As to
the problem with xsets not installing/running correctly, this
situation still exists with the -current and xsrc build I did on
Feb 28.  I think the /usr/bin, etc. situation is a secondary effect
of something else missing because I can find nothing different in
them after an xsrc make install.

However there are a few differences in X11R6 between xsrc make
install and a set install, namely a number of fonts.cache-1 files
missing from the xset, which I suspect is causing the failure with
the xset-installed X11R6 but I haven't been able to identify further.

Wildly speculating, maybe X is trying to log errors with the font
system before logging has been properly set up.

And yes, I have two X11R6 directories, one installed from xsets
via the installer (from a cd with xsets from releng or built locally
using the same cvs co of xsrc) and one via xsrc make install.
soft-linking X11R6 to one works and the other does not.

I've tried it on two different -current machines (multiple times)
now with different video cards (radeon vs Nvidia RIVA TNT2 Model
64) and the results are identical *if* one does not install over
a currently running filesystem.

If you try this over an existing, running system, it will likely
not fail.