Subject: Re: releng-current
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/28/2003 19:28:35

> mlh@goathill.org (MLH) writes:
> > I remembered incorrectly. The problem when installing straight from sets,
> > not over an existing installation is that xdm can't start:
> >
> > -----------------------
> > $ cat /var/log/xdm.log
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > Cannot open log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log"
>
> Sounds very strange. Are you running xdm from the /etc/rc.d script?

Yes, and as I mentioned, all I have to do is cvs co xsrc, make &&
make install and the problem goes away.

I just did notice that if I blow away /usr/lib, /usr/libdata,
/usr/libexec, /usr/bin, and reinstall those sets (using a -current
cd install) the problem reappears until I make install from xsrc.
So one might suspect that xsrc make install adds something in one
of those four directories that fixes the problem.