Subject: Re: releng-current
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/28/2003 17:31:02

> > > What doesn't work? Are there any error messages you can forward to
> > > the list?
> >
> > Same as when you try to build the xsets, which have been broken
> > for almost a year now.
>
> Er, I have done it constantly for the last year, so I suspect
> something is going wrong with the way you are doing things, rather
> than just for you.
>
> > It claims that no displays are available.
>
> That's probably just your hardware or some such. Most of the rest of
> us are using X just fine.
>
> > Sorry - I didn't save the logs. I expected that someone would have
> > tried them before posting. If you need, I can install them again.
>
> I think that's pretty much mandatory, since this isn't a general
> problem. Without logs, we can't help you with anything.

I remembered incorrectly. The problem when installing straight from sets,
not over an existing installation is that xdm can't start:

-----------------------
$ cat /var/log/xdm.log

Fatal server error:
Cannot open log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log"

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.

xdm error (pid 503): server unexpectedly died
xdm error (pid 503): Server for display :0 can't be started, session disabled

-----------------------
If one touches /var/log/XFree86.0.log and tries to restart xdm:

$  cat /var/log/xdm.log

Fatal server error:
Cannot move old logfile "/var/log/XFree86.0.log.old"

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.

xdm error (pid 818): server unexpectedly died

(same if one touches /var/log/XFree86.0.log.old)

If one installs from /usr/xsrc, this problem goes away, and even
if /usr/X11R6 is deleted or moved and xsets are installed again,
the problem still doesn't exist.

Toying with the logfiles doesn't seem to fix anything. I suspect
something else is missing, but I haven't located it.

I left the machine it it's current state if you have something you
wish for me to attempt on it.