Subject: Re: pkg-config files
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/26/2003 14:10:29
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Patrick Welche wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 01:32:59PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Patrick Welche wrote:
> >
> > > What are your views on this sort of thing?
> >
> > It looks good to me. "Imake" already stuffs the run-paths, so
> > "pkgconfig" should to. What else would you do?
>
> Well, it seems sensible to me, but I haven't seen it done anywhere. I've
> just been in glib gtk+ pango atk hell, with nothing finding anything else,
> so I wondered if there was a reason...

In pkgsrc, at least, many of them already do:

    # cat /usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig/glib.pc
    prefix=/usr/pkg
    exec_prefix=${prefix}
    libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
    includedir=/usr/pkg/include/glib

    Name: GLib
    Version: 1.2.10
    Libs: -Wl,-R${libdir} -L${libdir} -lglib
    Cflags: -I${includedir}/glib-1.2 -I${libdir}/glib/include

    # pkg_info -Fe /usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig/glib.pc
    glib-1.2.10nb5

Now, if you're saying the out-of-the-box builds don't do it, then that
would be "because they're broken". They can get away with it, because
many of your ELF early adopters in Open Source evidently land punted
on the details, providing a fully populated "ld.so.conf" by default,
whereas NetBSD does not.

> <ot>(still don't know why I have to
> install a publishing system just to have the gtk-doc dependency for a
> graphics library..)</ot>

"pkg-config" is the lesser of many evils. Try accomplishing the same
thing with "automake".

Frederick