Subject: Re: releng-current
To: None <tech-x11@NetBSD.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/26/2003 13:23:37
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> In article <20031026010528.167CB14401@tiamat.goathill.org>,
> 	mlh@goathill.org (MLH) writes:
> > Possibly those of you who aren't seeing problems are installing
> > the xsets on top of an existing X11 tree?
>
> No, that works, too. I've just created sets with "make release" in "xsrc",
> removed "/usr/X11R6", extracted the sets, restored my XDM configuration
> and restarted X11. And to no surprise it works absolutly fine - I'm
> running "knews" under this installation right now.

Hmm. It sucks having your edited files overwritten by an installation,
doesn't it? This is what I do:

# grep xdm /etc/rc.conf
xdm=YES                 xdm_flags="-config /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config"

then I *always* update X by building the sets, untarring them in, and
re-building the fonts caches. That still wouldn't catch files that you
need that are missing somehow, due to say, broken packages.

Frederick