Subject: Re: releng-current
To: James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/25/2003 20:05:28

> On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 03:36:06PM -0500, MLH wrote:
> > I was simply posting that the situation apparently hadn't changed
> > wrt to xsets built from xsrc since about last November when they
> > broke, in case someone had missed it.
>
> How are you building?
>
> cd xsrc; RELEASEDIR=<dir> DESTDIR=<dir> make release
>
> is how I do it. That results in "sets" in RELEASEDIR which work just fine
> for me (and have always). I did an install as recently as a week ago with
> no issues. i.e. to install:
>
> cd /
> tar -zxvpf <release dir>/i386/binary/sets/<xsets>
>
> to unpack each one.

Exactly the same. Maybe I just hit a bad three days for the cvs
tree and the releng site that I tried downloading and also building
xsets from. But note that the very same cvs pull that didn't build
xsets installed correctly.

One note... I was not installing xsets on top of anything else.
Possibly those of you who aren't seeing problems are installing
the xsets on top of an existing X11 tree?

> All "set building" does is tar stuff up from DESTDIR. This sounds like you're
> either not unpacking them correctly or have some other install issue.

I hardly think there is an unpacking issue on my side. I even tried
installing them from the -current installer, and I've been installing
xsets along with the std sets pretty much the same way for over 4
years now with no problems on up to ~15 machines except for xsets
as I've described.

> Is there an open PR about this?

Can't remember. I was going to file one but was told the issue was
well known and would hopefully be dealt with before too long.