Subject: Re: releng-current
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/25/2003 15:36:06

> > > What doesn't work? Are there any error messages you can forward to
> > > the list?
> >
> > Same as when you try to build the xsets, which have been broken
> > for almost a year now.
>
> Er, I have done it constantly for the last year, so I suspect
> something is going wrong with the way you are doing things, rather
> than just for you.

That's interesting. I've talked with several netbsd developers
about this issue and it seemed to be a pretty well-known problem
that one couldn't use xsets built from xsrc since about last
November.

As for something I'm doing, I just build xsrc and if I install from
there it works and if I build xsets from there (using the xsrc
instructions) and install them, it doesn't work.

> > It claims that no displays are available.
>
> That's probably just your hardware or some such. Most of the rest of
> us are using X just fine.

What is the difference between building and using xsets from xsrc
(current) and just installing straight from xsrc? One doesn't work
and one does. This goes for matrox g200, ati xpert-2000 and radeon
7500 boards on about 15 different boxes.  They all behave the same.

> > Sorry - I didn't save the logs. I expected that someone would have
> > tried them before posting. If you need, I can install them again.
>
> I think that's pretty much mandatory, since this isn't a general
> problem. Without logs, we can't help you with anything.

I've posted logs before, and I was told that it was simply a problem
with -current xsrc xsets - that they didn't work, and that I had
to install from xsrc to fix it, which does work. I'll arrange to
install and test xsets again, but it will be a few days before I
can do so.

I was simply posting that the situation apparently hadn't changed
wrt to xsets built from xsrc since about last November when they
broke, in case someone had missed it.

Thanks