Subject: Re: libXinerama and libxkb{file,ui}, et al, lossage
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@NetBSD.org>
From: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.fr>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/07/2003 22:51:47
"Charles M. Hannum" <abuse@spamalicious.com> writes:

> > If you agree to reverting the change, I can handle the whole issue in
> > three weeks from now (work is taking 99% of my time now) if the main
> > problem for you is your time.
>
> No, I don't agree.  It's a bogus solution that addresses a non-existant
> problem.  There is nothing wrong with using shared libraries here, there
> never has been, and the X source tree has always supported it if you use the
> proper options.

All right, you answered my concerns. From my point of view I now see
nothing wrong with your change.

However, this move would have better been coordinated with the Xfree86
project so that we could agree on the major numbers we give to a given
version of those libraries. When they ship libXfoo.so.1.0, we could
theoretically already be at libXfoo.so.8...

 Aymeric

PS: I google'd and grepped here and there and could not see any place
    where the motivation for keeping static-only libraries is given.