Subject: Re: VMware vs. various X servers
To: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
From: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
List: tech-x11
Date: 07/17/2003 22:21:47
>>My second solution attempt was to launch Xvnc on the NetBSD box, and
>>start VMware under that. The problem with this (the one I really want to
>>have solved) is that I can only see anything when the guest os is in
>>text mode, as soon as it switches to *any* graphical video mode, I have
>>black screen in the VMware window. This includes VMware's boot screen
>>which is also graphical. I tried all the possible bit depths for the
>>Xvnc server, as well as a few pixel formats, all of which resulted in
>>the same black screen.
>

> Xvnc seems to be the best solution to me.
> The black screen is a known issue with linux emulation and X,
> this worked for me:
>
> rasputin@littlebird:/$ cat /usr/pkgsrc/emulators/vmware3/MESSAGE
> $NetBSD: MESSAGE,v 1.3 2003/03/30 04:21:25 grant Exp $
>
> Since VMware 3.x, there is a problem which might be related to shared
> memory under Linux emulation, giving as a result black screen.
> Unfortunately, it's extremely hard to track down what's going on and this
> is as yet unresolved.
>
> If you experience this problem, setting your DISPLAY environment variable
> to "localhost:0" should help.

Yes, that has done the trick. Actually, now that you remind me, I have
also read that (back when I installed vmware, before having the
problem), but didn't really see the point then. Now I applied it to VNC,
and it works nicely.

> Once windows is installed, there is a third vnc hack;
> run tightvnc inside the windows VM.
> This fixed a bug for me where vmware under Xvnc
> bitched about not knowing my screen resultion, keyboard type, etc.
>
> vnc inside the vm didn't seem to mind...

Yes, that's something I also planned to do, and now it works here too.
But I wanted access to the "console" of the guest OS too, so I needed
the Xvnc thing to work well in addition to having "direct" VNC access to
the guest OS.

thx again, now all my related problems are solved
mortee