Subject: Sorting out a problem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Al Urbaitis <avu@lanl.gov>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/16/2003 11:12:39
Recent upgrade to 1.6.1
XFree86 version: 4.2.1
Using nv on a GEForce2go chipset
some updates to userland
I am using "enlightenment 0.16.4" as a desktop

I am getting the impression that after my
upgrade to 1.6.1 that my desktop has slowed down.

After launching X and then enlightenment
I notice a big change in the responsiveness of the desk top.
Menu items take seconds (3-5) to be presented, same with
bringing any open window "forward".

Top implies that Xfree86 is consuming a fair amount
of available CPU resources.
(I can drive it to 90 % by repeatedly calling up enlightenment menus)

The other difference is that I was running a patched
version of Xfree86 ( FreeBSD nv patches to enable GeForce2 )
and now I am running a "stock" NetBSD distribution
of Xfree86.

Any suggestions for a trouble shooting strategy ?

Al