Subject: XF86 4.x and international fonts
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 05/06/2003 22:40:15
Hi,

the international (other than iso-8859-1) fonts are only generated
and installed if HasPerl is set to YES. This is since the generator
script is written in Perl.

This is quite annoying for any installation which needs those
fonts, like czech - the font set is incomplete and doesn't
contain iso-8859-2 among other things.

It's not entirely straightforward to rewrite the script
in awk (I looked into that in past, and given up).

Thus, I'd like to turn HasPerl to YES in NetBSD.cf, and update
the XF4 xfonts set to include the additional files. This would
require anyone building xsrc to have perl installed - this
might be lame, but I don't think it's overly restrictive.

Opinions?

Note: unless you volunteer to rewrite the script, don't
scream "this is wrong". It's not good to have crippled
xsrc set. Full font set requires perl for build. Blame
XFree86 guys.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/