Subject: Re: xconsole broken for xdm/gdm setups
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 05/04/2003 19:22:07
On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 11:25:14AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Are you sure?

Yes, pretty much. Unless I missed some recent config file changes that would
fix the problem.

Try loggin into ttyE0 via Ctrl-Alt-F1, login in as perry, ls -l /dev/console
and log out again. Now go back to your X vt and ls -l /dev/console there.

In the default setup you have this line in your /etc/ttyaction file:

ttyE0	*	chown ${USER}:tty /dev/console

which will make the console now be owned by root.

Now log out of your X session, and log back in again. If your /dev/console
is owned by perry at this point, I would be glad to hear the trick.

A simple workaround, of course, is to manually chown /dev/console and never
log in on ttyE0 ;-) This does not work well for multi-user machines.

Martin