Subject: Re: XFree86 DRI on NetBSD
To: Erik Reid <reide@canuck.com>
From: Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/19/2003 15:37:49
On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 01:10, Erik Reid wrote:
> Hi there. For those that are interested, I've slowly been working on adding DRI
> support for NetBSD in the DRI project's CVS repository.  A bunch, but not all, of
> this work got imported into 4.3.0.  Now that 4.3.0 is in xsrc tree, I think we
> should bring in what's left of the changes to make it work properly, since there's
> not much that's missing.
>
> I've put together a fairly large patch which makes it all compile and work on
> my NetBSD/i386 1.6P system with a matrox g450.  I haven't tested it on any other
> cards, but Eric Anholt did test his cards out to see if they worked, and they did.
> I believe that includes a radeon and an r128.  I have no idea if the pcigart stuff
> even has a hope of working at all currently.

I had tested it with a Radeon 64MB DDR and 8500, a Matrox G400, and a
Rage 128 Pro.  I didn't try pcigart.  It could work, but the BSD pcigart
support in 4.3.0 was broken and could have caused problems if you set a
larger AgpSize than default because the allocation in ati_pcigart.h
wasn't contiguous.  Conversion of drm_scatter.h and ati_pcigart.h to
busdma would be the best thing to do -- I did the FreeBSD busdma
conversion pretty quickly, but held off on it because our busdma doesn't
work well for this yet.

> There are a few outstanding issues that I can think of off hand:
> 1) kernel module is not automatically built/installed by a 'make install' in
> 	xsrc/xfree/xc
> 2) kernel module is not automatically loaded by the X server
> 3) locators.h is not present but is included by <dev/pci/pcivar.h>
> 	(I've just been touching it for my builds, but that's obviously not the best :)
> 4) I have no idea if this will work on alpha or any other port with pci. I don't have
> 	the hardware.
> 5) I haven't actually tested the linux compat portion of this.  I just have to build
> 	some X 4.3.0 linux binaries, but haven't gotten around to it.
>
> I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'm sure there's more :)

6) someone make a port of driglide (ports/x11-severs/driglide in
FreeBSD) to get 3dfx cards working?

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org