Subject: Re: 4.3 and AGP
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/09/2003 16:31:10
tron@zhadum.de (Matthias Scheler) writes:
> > If I can't have DRI yet agp would at least help a bit... for mplayer at
> > least :).
>
> agp(4) without DRI doesn't help mplayer unless you need to it get the
> X11 server to work with an onboard graphic chipset like the i845GE.

I think the problem is some people mistakenly belive that the agp
driver somehow conveys some sort of performance that a PCI attachment
does not. This is false. Printing your attach as being on the pci bus
doesn't mysteriously reach in and change your hardware from an agp
slot to a PCI slot somehow.

The only time you *need* the agp driver is when your software needs a
special feature that isn't otherwise available.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com