Subject: Re: 4.3 in 1.6.1_RC2
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/07/2003 21:25:15
In article <3E6905BA.4050704@nwlink.com>,
	David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com> writes:
> I have these there now...  let's see...
>
> /usr/X11R6/${MKDIR} is empty, as is /usr/X11R6/-p.  /usr/X11R6/%D expands to
> the following empty directory:  /usr/X11R6/%D/lib/mozilla/plugins.

It's quite obvious that these are remainders of a broken package
installation.  The only place where the string "mozilla" can be found
in our whole X11 sources is the file "xfree/xc/lib/fontconfig/ChangeLog".
The strings doesn't occur in any "Imakefile", "Makefile", program
source or shell script. The directory can *not* have been created by
the X11 build.

To clarify things a bit further:
All files installed by the XFree86 build are tracked in distribution
sets (see "src/distrib/sets"). These sets get updated after every
XFree86 import.  These distribution sets are later used to build the
binary sets which are part of NetBSD releases. During this process it
is automatically verified that no files or directories are installed
and not listed. So if the X11 build would have created such stray
directories neither Tracy nor me would have been able to build a
NetBSD-current snapshot with XFree86 4.3.0. But we both succeeded
on different systems with different setups.

If you want to find out where these directories came from try to track
down the package operation (e.g. "pkg_add" of a precompiled binary
package) which caused this. Once you can reproduce the problem submit
a problem report please so that it can be fixed.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/