Subject: Re: fontconfig and /etc/font/ on NetBSD ?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 02/16/2003 16:00:05
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> writes:
> > True enough. However, I did wish we could have our truly machine
> > dependent config files in an /etc/X11 dir (such as the XF86Config etc.)
>
> Sure (just not everything that XFree86 would like to install there).
>
> XF86Config *can* *go* in "/etc/X11" -- that's where mine is -- but we
> don't install one in any case.

Should we be adding /etc/X11 to our default mtree? It would seem to be
a good idea to me.

> For what it's worth, I don't customize anything under "/usr/X11R6".
> The only thing I've ever felt compelled to modify is xdm's config,
> and sometimes xfs'. I point xdm to "/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config" via
> "/etc/rc.conf". This points, for the modified files only, to under
> "/etc/X11/xdm". Works for xfs, too.

I was unaware you could do this! I would much rather have never
touched anything under /usr/X11R6 but I always felt compelled to. Is
it possible for us to rig things up so that a shadow tree in /etc/X11
is looked at before /usr/X11R6 so that the mechanism can be made more
general? Alternatively, could we rig up our standard rc.d scripts for
xdm etc. to make your style of configuration easy to do/documented?
I think other people would probably like to avoid touching their
/usr/X11R6 for any reason, too....

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com