Subject: Re: fontconfig and /etc/font/ on NetBSD ?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 02/16/2003 13:33:42
On 16 Feb 2003, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> writes:
> > I believe the reason we set UseSeperateConfDir to NO, is to avoid
> > increasing the size of /etc 10-fold, by filling it up with
> > app-defaults and other files not meant to be edited by the end user.
> > There's nothing wrong with adding a configuration file or two to /etc.
> > That's what /etc is for.
>
> True enough. However, I did wish we could have our truly machine
> dependent config files in an /etc/X11 dir (such as the XF86Config etc.)

Sure (just not everything that XFree86 would like to install there).

XF86Config *can* *go* in "/etc/X11" -- that's where mine is -- but we
don't install one in any case.

For what it's worth, I don't customize anything under "/usr/X11R6".
The only thing I've ever felt compelled to modify is xdm's config,
and sometimes xfs'. I point xdm to "/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config" via
"/etc/rc.conf". This points, for the modified files only, to under
"/etc/X11/xdm". Works for xfs, too.

Back to the original topic, upon further reflection, I would
definitely put fontconfig's XML files into
"/usr/X11R6/share/fontconfig".  Recalling past discussions on tech-pkg
about putting all host dependent config under "/etc", the chief
objection was that "/usr/X11R6/etc" and "/usr/pkg/etc" contained too
many files that really weren't user editable, much like fontconfig's
overridable XML defaults.

Frederick