Subject: Re: fontconfig and /etc/font/ on NetBSD ?
To: None <matthieu@herrb.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 02/16/2003 11:46:55
On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Matthieu Herrb wrote:

> Martin Husemann wrote (in a message from Sunday 16)
>  > On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 04:16:14PM +0100, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
>  >
>  > > While preparing the XFree86 4.3 release for NetBSD I'm wondering what
>  > > to do about the new /etc/fonts directory introduced by Keith Packard's
>  > > 'fontconfig' utility. In keith's mind this is meant to be used by more
>  > > than just the X server (printing application may also use it to get
>  > > their fonts for instance), hence the system wide location.
>  >
>  > This does not sound like it realy is host dependend, so /etc would be
>  > wrong. Something like /usr/share/fonts sounds better - what's in this
>  > directory?
>
> There is the fontconfig configuration file 'fonts.conf' and the
> corresponding DTD donts.dtd. You're right that most of the file isn't
> host independant. Local configuration can be done in local.conf but in
> the same directory.
>
> To learn more about fontconfig:
> <http://www.xfree86.org/snapshot/fontconfig.3.html>
> <http://nexp.cs.pdx.edu/fontconfig/>

I just installed the pkgsrc version to look at it. I agree "share"
looks like the place for those files, especially as the default config
pulls in a per-user customization file, ~/.fonts.conf. Now if the
binaries install to "/usr/X11R6/bin", then shouldn't the "share"
directory be "/usr/X11R6/share/fontconfig"?

Frederick