Subject: Re: fontconfig and /etc/font/ on NetBSD ?
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu.herrb@wanadoo.fr>
List: tech-x11
Date: 02/16/2003 18:36:56
Martin Husemann wrote (in a message from Sunday 16)
 > On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 04:16:14PM +0100, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
 >
 > > While preparing the XFree86 4.3 release for NetBSD I'm wondering what
 > > to do about the new /etc/fonts directory introduced by Keith Packard's
 > > 'fontconfig' utility. In keith's mind this is meant to be used by more
 > > than just the X server (printing application may also use it to get
 > > their fonts for instance), hence the system wide location.
 >
 > This does not sound like it realy is host dependend, so /etc would be
 > wrong. Something like /usr/share/fonts sounds better - what's in this
 > directory?

There is the fontconfig configuration file 'fonts.conf' and the
corresponding DTD donts.dtd. You're right that most of the file isn't
host independant. Local configuration can be done in local.conf but in
the same directory.

To learn more about fontconfig:
<http://www.xfree86.org/snapshot/fontconfig.3.html>
<http://nexp.cs.pdx.edu/fontconfig/>