Subject: Re: black on black terminal after quitting X
To: None <poff@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 11/19/2002 09:51:23
On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 11:19:28PM +0000, poff@sdf.lonestar.org wrote:
> Is there any way I can make it into a package so when I re-install netbsd
> I can just use pkg_add?

1.) You cannot turn X11 into a package.
2.) There is no need to reinstall NetBSD, this is not the usual crappy
    Linux distribution. The system I'm using right now was installed
    in 1996 and only updated afterwards.
3.) I suppose Matthias Drochner will commit this fix soon so that the
    XFree86 binaries delivered with the next NetBSD release - probably
    1.6.1 - will work for you out of the box.

> One last thing (not x related); I've been trying to use pkgsrc to compile
> bits and bobs, but always get the following error:
>
> make: don't know how to make /usr/share/tmac/tmac.andoc. Stop

You apparently did only a partial NetBSD installation. Your system probably
lacks the "text" set.

> Oh, I used freebsd for a while and like the pkg_add -r function; is there
> an equivalent on netbsd?

I don't know what "pkg_add -r" does but NetBSD's "pkg_add" will install
all required binary packages automatically. You could e.g. install
KDE 2 with "pkg_add kde-2.2.2nb4.tgz" and all the required binary
packages woul be installed, too.

> Any ideas? I know pkg_add ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.6/i386/etc
>
> works, but it won't get dependecies automatically;

There must be something wrong with your setup. This definitely works.

BTW: please send further questions to public list like "tech-pkg@netbsd.org"
     so that other people might answer or learn from the answers.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/