Subject: Re: XFree86 4.x problems.
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/27/2002 12:08:02
> > The video card is an S3 ViRGE from about 5 years back and never gave
> > me any problems under XFree86 3.x.  One thing that I noticed in the
> > XFree86 server log is that it seems to be trying to use a RAMDAC, but
> > I recall under 3.x, XFree86's docs (or config tool or something)
> > explicitly (and strongly) claimed that I should *NOT* try that with
> > this card (I think primarily because the card didn't have one...(^&)
> >
> > Do these problems sound familiar to anyone?  That they only
> > intermittantly come up suggests to me that the problem lies in some
> > kind of bogus initialization, rather than in a config option that is
> > fundamentally wrong.
>
> Try disabling xv in your XF86Config.  On cats others have reported, and
> I have seen issues with xv at res's larger than 1024x768 with an s3
> virge.

Hm...okay.  So I should set:

        #Option     "XVideo"                    # [<bool>]

..to false/0/no/whatever?  Presently it's not set either way.

> PS did you do a new config file with xf86cfg?  I found I cleared lots of

I don't think that the old (3.x) config files are compatible.  That's what
I recall from using 4.0 a few years ago.

But I never use xf86config.  I generated it using the "-config"
("-configure"?) option to the XFree86 program.  That's much easier than
messing with the config programs.  (And is probably the single biggest
XFree86 enhancement, in my book, pending DRI support one of these
days...(^&)

> problems I was having by starting with a freshly generated config file
> from xf86cfg 8)

Thanks for the tip.  I'm surprised that you got an old 3.3.6 config file
to work at all.  I didn't even try.  (^&