Subject: Re: XFree86 4.x problems.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/27/2002 03:52:06
On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:25:25 -0500 (CDT)
Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu> wrote:

> The video card is an S3 ViRGE from about 5 years back and never gave
> me any problems under XFree86 3.x.  One thing that I noticed in the
> XFree86 server log is that it seems to be trying to use a RAMDAC, but
> I recall under 3.x, XFree86's docs (or config tool or something)
> explicitly (and strongly) claimed that I should *NOT* try that with
> this card (I think primarily because the card didn't have one...(^&)
>
> Do these problems sound familiar to anyone?  That they only
> intermittantly come up suggests to me that the problem lies in some
> kind of bogus initialization, rather than in a config option that is
> fundamentally wrong.

Try disabling xv in your XF86Config.  On cats others have reported, and
I have seen issues with xv at res's larger than 1024x768 with an s3
virge.

Chris

PS did you do a new config file with xf86cfg?  I found I cleared lots of
problems I was having by starting with a freshly generated config file
from xf86cfg 8)