Subject: Accelerated X Project ? (WAS: Re: HEADS UP: XFree86 4.2.1 imported)
To: Erik Reid <reide@canuck.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 10/10/2002 16:15:50
On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 09:17, Erik Reid wrote:
> Quoth "Brian A. Seklecki":
> >On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 @ 7:03pm (+0900), Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> >
> I've got some portion of the work done making the stuff in the DRI CVS repository
> work on NetBSD, but I'm not sure when they're going to be bringing that work up

interesting.  obviously i'm curious about what comes of that.  for some
reason, i was thinking TrueType fonts required DRI to be rendedered.

Or maybe I'm thinking anti-aliased fonts need DRI...

Either way I have access to an Voodoo3 PCI and a NVidia DDR AGP, so I'm
willing to help test stuff.

I think what we really need is a project(1) "Accelerated X" or "Enhanced
X" or whatever to help better document using X, as to address the
frequent X11 related questions in port-i386@ and netbsd-help@,
including, but not limted to:

*) OpenGL / DRI
*) MTRR
*) XV / X-Video extension
*) Xinerama Extension
*) DGA
*) Playing media, pkgsrc apps, etc.  - DVD, MPEG, DiVx, AVI
*) TV Tuner Cards
*) True Type / Anti-Aliased Fonts
*) Scrollwheel, etc.
*) Other misc X Features (xdm, dpms, vesa, etc.)

The key is to somehow keep it platform independant based on the
features... everything written so far is i386centric.

Anyone else interested?

-Brian

1. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/projects.cgi