Subject: Re: Vast, vast speed increases
To: Ray Phillips , tech-x11 <>
From: David Hopper <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/26/2002 09:31:18
Ray Phillips wrote:
> David:
> I read your posting to the NetBSD/alpha mailing list
> and thought I'd ask which video card you have in the Miata 600au you
> referred to.

Matrox Millennium II (mga 2164w)

> Was the 4.1.0 XFree server you mentioned compiled from a standard
> distribution from or did you have to make some
> modifications?  The only successful method I've found of using a VGA
> card successfully on an Alpha so far is to compile and install Mel
> Kravitz's modified version of XFree86 4.0.2.

I'm not familiar with Mel's version.  I used Simon Burge's 4.0.2 patches
against the 4.1.0 XFree code as it existed in the NetBSD source tree back
with 1.5X in July/August 2001.  More information about the state of X on
Alpha is at:

The problem seems to be that XFree soured on the Alpha between 4.1.0 and
4.2.0, and 4.1.0 never made it to any releases-- it exists somewhere only
in a snapshot.

Simon has since updated the patches referenced above:

...but he states that the new patches not work on the Alpha-- and I have
not tried them.

> Did you compile your XFree 4.1.0 server last year using NetBSD 1.5.2 (or
> thereabouts) or with a pre-release of 1.6?  I wonder if there would be
> any advantage in using 1.6's newer compiler?

It was 1.5X, a -current snapshot.  XFree4 went from 4.0.3 to 4.1.0 to 4.2.0
in between releases, so unfortunately that 4.1.0 codebase is lost to me.  I
have a message out to the tech-x11 folks, though, in the hopes that someone
kept this snapshot somewhere.  I've tried compiling 4.1.0 from,
but it really wants to be nestled inside the NetBSD source tree, and I
haven't gotten that far.

> What method did you use to acquire NetBSD versions 1.6D and 1.6H?
> They're more recent than the official 1.6 release aren't they?

Information on tracking -current is available at

I use sup.