Subject: Re: MD xsets
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/19/2002 23:55:35
On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 01:40:19PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
  | In article <20020918204755.B5975@wiesel.intern>,
  | 	Thomas Gerner <thomas@murmel.camelot.de> writes:
  | > I would like to move some MD files from one xset to
  | > another. Currently NetBSD Atari has some similar files like i386 in
  | > the xbase set. This makes the Atari xbase set not shareable with the
  | > other m68k architectures. I like to move this files to the xserver
  | > set. Are there any objections?
  |
  | Yes, there are files in "src/distrib/sets/lists/xbase/md.atari"
  | which don't belong into the server set:
  |
  | ./usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/sun.termcap
  | ./usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/sun.terminfo
  | ./usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xterm.termcap
  | ./usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xterm.terminfo
  |
  | I wonder if these files are necessary at all. It looks like we don't
  | need "terminfo" and have "termcap" it the base system.

Whether or not they're "X server related", at the moment the only MD
x set we have is xserver.tgz.

Speaking as a release engineer, we need to ensure that the sets are
sanely split along MACHINE_ARCH shareable / machine independant /
machine dependant lines.

What I'd like to see in the X sets is:

	xbase		MACHINE_ARCH shareable (atari is exception)

	xcomp		MACHINE_ARCH shareable

	xcontrib	MACHINE_ARCH shareable

	xfont		machine independant, although the XFree86 4.x
			version is XXX MB versus YYY MB of 3.x

	xmisc		MACHINE_ARCH shareable

	xserver		MACHINE specific X server, possibly containing all of
			the other MACHINE specific stuff (unless we
			make another set for it)

Thoughts?

Luke.