Subject: Re: nVidia
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/16/2002 22:44:30
On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 01:19:34AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> From http://bsd.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/16/1855253:
>
> "The FreeBSD NVIDIA Driver Initiative has announced that nVidia itself
> will be releasing a FreeBSD driver for its line of cards. This is
> excellent news for people who prefer to Quake on the best OS available."
>
> I wonder if we will be able to use these drivers in NetBSD?

I'm not sure, but I doubt it. I corresponded with somebody at NVidia about
getting documentation for a driver for NetBSD - and they told me to wait for
the FreeBSD driver. Note that this was several months ago. I am not positive
on this, but I think it is safe to assume that nVidia at the moment has no
plans to support NetBSD. It sounded that way in the response I got from them
when I asked about NetBSD support. And the reason I doubt it is because so
far as I know, FreeBSD and NetBSD's kernel module mechanisms are signifigantly
different... it would be a lot easier to port than the Linux drivers, i
imagine, though :)

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII