Subject: Re: Window manager selection proposal
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/15/2002 14:23:37
On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Richard Rauch wrote:

> Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2002/09/15/0003.html
>
> How would this affect those of us who don't use .xsession stuff, but
> instead "start x" by "startx"?

Not at all, I imagine. I thought we were talking about the default
installation, so I envision it would take the place of "xsm" in xdm's
default Xsession script. Therefore, if you already had an ~/.xsession,
no change. Nor can I imagine why you'd want to mess with "startx",
given that people who like to do things the hard way should already
know what they're doing.

> I hope that I won't have to "select" a window manager post-install, or
> click on something *everytime* I run "startx".  My .xinitrc does what I
> want (i.e., it runs twm backgrounded, and exec's an iconified xterm).  If
> I want to try another window manager, all I have to do is kill twm and
> start the other window manager.  (I sometimes like to experiment.  (^&)

Frederick