Subject: Re: Window manager selection proposal
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/15/2002 12:21:58
On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 12:08:10PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> That should be part of XFree, not NetBSD. Better discuss there.

No, that's a NetBSD question.

Our default installation of X is pretty stupid, and it takes a long way to
get it into a useable state. We have two ways changing that:

 - choosing any reasonable window manager and providing a complete,
   usefull default installation (I'm all for it, as long as it's
   icewm-gnome and we deliver all of gnome with the base X install ;-} )

or

 - giving the user choice, including tight integration of installed pkgs

The latter can not be done by the XFree people, they have no NetBSD pkgsrc.

A small part of the whole picture, the Xwmchooser program Chris suggested,
could and probably should be independend of NetBSD. Maybe that was what
you were trying to say? But if it is to be used in the default install
of xsrc on NetBSD, we better put it into our xsrc tree (instead of starting
a project on sourceforge.)

Martin