Subject: Re: RFC: framebuffer device support in NetBSD
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 09/13/2002 16:30:07
On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 10:42:04PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 10:17:03PM +0200, der Mouse wrote:
>
> > Really?  I thought much of the ugliness was because on some peecee
> > video hardware, you _can't_ access all of video memory at once - you
> > have to do something akin to bank-switching.
>
> Yes, there has been hardware that did/needed that.
>
> You probabaly will need/want to keep the old "X does it all by itself"
> interface in the X server (uh, actually I don't know if those cards are
> still supported in XFree 4.2.x).

Yes, XFree86 4.x still supports banked displays such as VGA.  It does
"all the hardware access by itself".  It would be fairly trivial to
implement a "wscons-fb" driver, but you'd not be wanting to do that --
many important features such as DRI (access to the hardware 3D
acceleration) depend on the current driver architecture.

-andy