Subject: Scrolling (was: Problem dragging the mouse on X11)
To: None , <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: tech-x11
Date: 08/02/2002 05:27:31
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2002/07/31/0002.html

Some applications (such as xterm, or emacs) have oddball scrollbars.  You
have to use the *middle* button to drag the scrollbar.

If you have a two-button mouse, there's a way to use a "chord" of the two
buttons to fake a middle button.  (I'm not sure of the syntax in the
XFree86 4.x config files, or where you put it.)

Aside from being a little confusing, the middle button is also used as a
``paste'' button (to paste selected text from one location into another
location).  I've slipped off the scroll bars a time or two and pasted a
few KB of garbage into emacs and xterm.  (^&

Fortunately, most applications will use the left-button to drag
scroll-bars.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's anything you can do
about programs that use different buttons, in general.  (Unless you
manually modify the programs.  (^&)

You do get used to it, though.  (I actually had to *check* that the middle
button was used by xterm's scrollbar, for example.  It's not that I ever
have trouble using the scrollbar, but simply that I don't think about it
consciously.  My fingers know which buttons to push.)