Subject: Re: I see dead consoles - all the time...
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: tech-x11
Date: 07/15/2002 15:54:15
* Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de> [020715 11:53]:
> In article <20020706122437.GA2686@idoru.mine.nu>,
> 	rasputin@idoru.mine.nu writes:
> > Alll the ttys are dead, though if I sheel in remotely and
> > restart xdm everything wakes up.
>
> Dead it what sence? Can you still switch? Can you still see something?
> Can you still enter something and e.g. login blindly?

Dead as in totally blank.
Box itself is fine (i.e. can still log in remotely, just X has dumped core).

> It is possible that you cannot see anything anymore because the crashing
> X11 server failed to restore the VGA card into text mode. There is not
> much the kernel can do about this because it requires knowledge about
> the specific chipset.

Yeah. maybe. Just thought it was odd since I'd normally just get
a sig11, a coredump, and a kick back to a vty...

Anyway, problem has hidden itself away for the time being
(I hate it when they do that).