Subject: Re: HEADS UP: XFree86 4.x now default for i386 and x86_64 ports
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 07/05/2002 08:13:26
In article <86wusckaz0.fsf@athene.i.eunet.no>,
	Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@CatchCom.no> writes:
> Any gotchas for those of us tracking -current?

XFree86 4.2.0 contains libraries which are part of "pkgsrc". If you
remove those packages afterwards "pkg_delete" will complain about
checksum failure but leave the XFree86 files in place.

> Can we just do a "make build" in /usr/xsrc and expect things to work

That will do.

> ... or is there work involved setting up a new XF86Config file?

You need a new X11 server configuration.

> (I *hate* that -- getting X to work right on a PC-based UNIX is
> probably *the* most difficult task I have ever encountered, and ever
> will!)

Just invoke "xf86config", answer the questions and it will work.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/