Subject: Re: merge mkfontscale into xsrc/xfree source tree
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@ms25.url.com.tw>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/28/2002 01:45:32
On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:03:39AM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2002/06/27/0001.html
>
> Additionally:
>
>   NetBSD/i386 users may not all choose to use XFree86 4.x for some
>   reason.  The last I looked at the XFree86 web page, they had a lot
>   of video hardware that they didn't support as well (or at all)
>   under 4.x, but which was supported in 3.3.6.

Yes, I agree. The 4.2 still didn't support my old S3 trio64V+ VGA card...

>   NetBSD != NetBSD/i386.  If I understand correctly, while NetBSD/i386
>   is switching to XFree86 4.2, the other ports haven't made such an
>   announcement.  In fact, I thought that some ports used a totally
>   distinct X server from XFree86.  Is this correct?

It seems our man power in xsrc/xfree is not much enough.
The XFree86.org also give more emphasis to i386 video hardwares.
Just my guess. :)

>   While pkgsrc is part of ``the NetBSd package system'', people do
>   work on supporting other platforms (Solaris, Darwin, some GNU/LINUX
>   guys...).
>

> (Disclaimer: I don't use mkfontscale.  I am *assuming* that it makes sense
> to use it for X servers other than XFree86 4.2.)

In fact, mkfontscale will work for Xfsft. But it seems only can be
executed/compiled under 4.x because it links to libfontenc.
So the 3.x users only can choose x11/ttmkfdir.

Because 4.2 is more convenient for setup(especially in TTF) and I just upgrade
my hardware, I prefer to it.(although it still has some problem...)

-rxg