Subject: Re: merge mkfontscale into xsrc/xfree source tree
To: Matthias Scheler , Rui-Xiang Guo <>
From: Richard Rauch <>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/27/2002 10:03:39

  NetBSD/i386 users may not all choose to use XFree86 4.x for some
  reason.  The last I looked at the XFree86 web page, they had a lot
  of video hardware that they didn't support as well (or at all)
  under 4.x, but which was supported in 3.3.6.

  NetBSD != NetBSD/i386.  If I understand correctly, while NetBSD/i386
  is switching to XFree86 4.2, the other ports haven't made such an
  announcement.  In fact, I thought that some ports used a totally
  distinct X server from XFree86.  Is this correct?

  While pkgsrc is part of ``the NetBSd package system'', people do
  work on supporting other platforms (Solaris, Darwin, some GNU/LINUX

(Disclaimer: I don't use mkfontscale.  I am *assuming* that it makes sense
to use it for X servers other than XFree86 4.2.)

  ``I probably don't know what I'm talking about.''