Subject: Re: xdm: xfree 4.2 lossage, or pilot error?
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/23/2002 13:55:36
Luke Mewburn wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 08:24:36PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>
>   | In article <200206202005.NAA15631@pescadero.dsg.stanford.edu>,
>   |     Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:
>   | > In this setup, xdm dies horribly.
>   | "xdm" works fine for me as long as I used it locally. I only get problems
>   | if I access a remote "xdm" e.g. with "X -query hostname". Unfortunately
>   | I hadn't time to debug this yet.
>
> Are you sure that the remote xdm is listening to tcp connections?
>
> Newer xdm's have
>         DisplayManager.requestPort:     0
> in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config (or wherever that is for you) which
> prevents it listening on remote servers.
>
> Then there's the issue of ensuring that/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess allows
> access for your remote X server.
>
> On a related note, I had problems remotely xdm-ing off an
> XFree86 4.2 box from an 8 bit X terminal (NCD HMX), when I was using
>         xlogin*logoFileName
> (to display an image) when that image used ~ 256 colours.  xdm would
> just keep on dying with a weird error.  When I down-sampled the image
> to 128 colours all was well.

I saw this message come through at the xfree86 mailing list.  Certainly,
I don't have this problem on xfree86-current.  Some more pull-ups?

	-- Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>

----- Forwarded message from Matthieu Herrb <matthieu.herrb@wanadoo.fr> -----

From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu.herrb@wanadoo.fr>
To: xpert@XFree86.Org
Subject: Re: [Xpert]startx works, but xdm fails
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 01:08:35 +0200

Zak Johnson wrote (in a message from Monday 17)
 > [Please CC me on replies, as I am not subscribed to this list.]
 >
 > I just installed XFree86 4.2.0 while upgrading one of my workstations to
 > FreeBSD 4.6.  After fiddling with xf86cfg for a bit and getting a proper
 > XF86Config file set up, startx worked like a champ.  Unfortunately, xdm
 > does not.  I have searched the list archives and the web to no avail.  I
 > have attached my xdm-errors file; please let me know if I should supply
 > more information.

You're probably running in 8 bits depth on your card. There's a small
problem with the Xrender extension at 8 bpp on XFree86 4.2.0 that
doesn't leave enough free color cells to display the XFree86 logo in
xdm. If your card has enough memory and bandwith to support 16 or 24
bpp, switch to that . (Add "DefaultDepth 16" or "DefaultDepth 24" to
the "Display" section of  your rXF86Config file).

If you can't do that, use an icon with less colors in
/etc/X11/xdm/Xresource for the xlogin*logoFileName resource.

This problem is fixed in -current XFree86.

					Matthieu

----- End forwarded message -----