Subject: Re: xdm: xfree 4.2 lossage, or pilot error?
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/21/2002 16:56:06
On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 08:24:36PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
  | In article <200206202005.NAA15631@pescadero.dsg.stanford.edu>,
  | 	Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:
  | > In this setup, xdm dies horribly.
  |
  | "xdm" works fine for me as long as I used it locally. I only get problems
  | if I access a remote "xdm" e.g. with "X -query hostname". Unfortunately
  | I hadn't time to debug this yet.

Are you sure that the remote xdm is listening to tcp connections?

Newer xdm's have
	DisplayManager.requestPort:     0
in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config (or wherever that is for you) which
prevents it listening on remote servers.

Then there's the issue of ensuring that/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess allows
access for your remote X server.

On a related note, I had problems remotely xdm-ing off an
XFree86 4.2 box from an 8 bit X terminal (NCD HMX), when I was using
	xlogin*logoFileName
(to display an image) when that image used ~ 256 colours.  xdm would
just keep on dying with a weird error.  When I down-sampled the image
to 128 colours all was well.

Luke.