Subject: Re: How do I install the X11 server...
To: Sukanta ganguly <sganguly@yahoo.com>
From: Chris Lloyd <strawberry@toth.org.uk>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/06/2002 20:23:12
On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 04:22:06PM -0800, Sukanta ganguly wrote:
> I have a Pentium III 900 Mhz PC. I have Win2k on the
> first hard drive. On the second harddrive I have Linux
> as the first partition and would like to install
> NetBSD 1.5.2 on the second. I purchased the CD from
> Wasabi. Could somebody help me figure out how to
> install NetBSD as the second partition and have a
> multi-boot setup so that I can select which OS to boot
> into.

The NetBSD installer should detect both disks as wd0 and wd1,
assuming they are both IDE. You need to choose wd1, which is
the second disk. After this you should choose to install NetBSD
on only part of the disk. You can then choose the partition you
want to install NetBSD into. NetBSD on i386 can be confusing here,
since it uses two grades of partition. The first is the DOS
partition, of which Win2k, Linux and NetBSD will use one each
(primary DOS partitions). After this NetBSD will further subdivide
its DOS partition into some smaller netbsd partitions, one for /, one
for /usr, one for swap and any others you wish to create. NetBSD
will ask you if you want to install the NetBSD boot selector, say no
and then read

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/i386/faq.html#nt_boot

which will tell you how to add NetBSD to the NT bootloader, which I
believe win2k uses.

>   Also, how do I install the X server. The standard X
> server install does not seem to do it.

You can check for the existance of the X install by looking to see if
/usr/X11R6 exists, if it does then X was installed. You will also need
to add /usr/X11R6/bin to your PATH. Load your shell's rc file (.bashrc
for example) and add /usr/X11R6/bin to the list.

 - Chris

--
strawberry@toth.org.uk
http://www.toth.org.uk/~strawberry