Subject: Re: X server quits with memory error
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Brieuc Jeunhomme <bbp@via.ecp.fr>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/06/2002 03:13:30
> > Fatal server error:
> > xf86MapVidMem: Address 0xfea00000 outside allowable range
>
> You have to compile your kernel with "options INSECURE" or use the
> "aperture" kernel module ("pkgsrc/sysutils/aperture").

Greet, this works ! Maybe it would be useful to add this to the X window
system FAQ. I think the following lines would be helpful:

The X server exits with a message like xf86MapVidMem: Address 0xfea00000
outside allowable range

You have to compile your kernel with "options INSECURE" or use the
"aperture" kernel module ("pkgsrc/sysutils/aperture"). If you want to
apply the second solution, add the following line to your /etc/mk.conf:

BSDSRCDIR=/usr/src

then, install the aperture package and add the following line to your
/etc/lkm.conf:

/usr/pkg/lkm/xf86.o     -       -       /usr/pkg/lkm/xf86_mod_install - BEFORENET

Then, ensure the loadable kernel modules are enabled (lkm must be set to
YES in /etc/rc.conf).

--
BBP