Subject: Re: Transparent consoles.
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: tech-x11
Date: 04/01/2002 21:13:59
> > My impression/assumption is that this should make the background of the
 [...]
> The issue is that older X servers (older than nearly the most recent
> ones, in fact) have no notion of alpha channel/transparency at
> all. The latest ones do, but the clients haven't caught
> up. Transparency on such things is managed with horrible hacks, and
> thus the results you see.

Ah, so maybe someday this will work as I expected.  Cool.  (^&

(I somehow had the vague impression of seeing screenshots a year or so
back, showing Eterm or similar getting the kind of transparency that I was
expecting.  But my memory is fuzzy even at best.)

Thanks for the updated information, in any case.