Subject: Re: Problem gettin X going.
To: David Walker <diw@tpg.com.au>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: tech-x11
Date: 08/23/2001 19:02:07
On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 04:08:24AM +0930, David Walker wrote:

> I gave up on this and tried to run xf86config.
> I input the info I had and whenever asked for info I didn't know just hit
> enter to accept the default which supposedly would work.
> When I hit xstart it tries but says cannot find vertical refresh rates.

You need to set up vertical and horizontal refresh rates. This information
usually comes with your monitor - I don't know that there's any easy way
for the monitor to tell the computer what it supports, at least with X.

One place to look for information generally is http://www.xfree86.org. The
NetBSD docs are also good, http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/.

> That is they make absolutely no sense to me and are worthless to me. I
> wouldn't have a clue about any refresh rates for my monitor and neither does
> an FCC ID search. What do other people with a second hand monitor do?

You can always check the manufacturers' web pages. Also, you can try
using the smallest / lowest settings possible, as a start.

--
    Mason Loring Bliss  mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us    They also surf who
awake ? sleep : dream;  https://acheron.ne.mediaone.net/  only stand on waves.