Subject: Re: XF 4.10 on ATI Rage Mobility
To: David Forbes <david@flossy.u-net.com>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
List: tech-x11
Date: 08/23/2001 21:59:59
On Thu Aug 23 2001 at 15:03:21 +0100, David Forbes wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I've got NetBSD setup on a new Dell laptop.  The machine has a ATI Rage
> Mobility M3 chip in it.  I've installed a 1.5.1 userland, a 1.5X kernel
> and the XFree86 4.10 snapshot from the ftp.netbsd.org.
>
> However, I'm not much good at debugging problems with X servers - they've
> always "just-worked" for me in the past - and I've come up with a problem.
> What happens with this setup is that when the X server exits, part of the
> cross-hatch gets corrupted, and the screen gradually gets whiter, until it
> whites out.
>
> Now I read in the list archives about other chipsets having a problem
> restoring palette registers, but I don't know if this is related.
>
> Anybody know what I can do to fix this?

I have a Dell Latitute C600 with ATI Rage Mobility in it. I've seen
something similar to what you describe when doing weird combos with
video projectors and changing resolution. What has always helped me so
far has been pressing Fn+F8 (switches between CRT/LCD on my model) a
couple of times.

If that doesn't work, don't exit X ;)

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>          v          Of course he runs NetBSD