Subject: iso-8859-2+ fonts for xfree 4.x
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 08/18/2001 12:05:32
Hi,
the iso-8859-2 (nor any iso-8859-X besides iso-8859-1) fonts doesn't
seem to be included in NetBSD build of XFree 4.1.0.  This caused
me some pain when I upgraded from 4.0something I was using before.

The variable-size iso-8859-2 fonts in xsrc/xfree/xc/fonts/bdf/latin2
doesn't get build due to Imakefile omitting the directory, and thus
build doesn't descend there. This is something we want to fix
and feed back to XFree86. This would prolly be conditional
upon BuildLatin2Fonts or something of the kind.

The "misc" fonts are not generated due to different default
options on NetBSD.  After some digging, I found out that the misc
iso-8859-* fonts are generated by a perl script included in XFree86
4.1 distribution, and appropriate imake switch depends on HasPerl5
define (the build of other iso8859-* depends on DerivedUCSFonts
being set, which depends -- according to config/cf/X11.tmpl -- upon
HasPerl5).

The appropriate perl script (xfree/xc/fonts/util/bdftruncate.pl)
is very simple, it would be ~trivial to rewrite it to awk.  I don't
quite get why the person wrote it in Perl originally. I volunteer to do the
conversion to awk. Then, the DerivedUCSFonts define could be set
to true by default, thus the iso-8859-other fonts would be built
by default and we (NetBSD users using something else than iso-8859-1)
would be happy :)

Anyone has any problem with such a change? Both changes would be
fed back to XFree86 tree (or X Consorcium, if appropriate) of
course, so that it appears in XFree86 4.3 once it's released.

Jaromir

P.S: Plese keep me on CC, I'm not subscribed yet.
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!