Subject: Re: XF 4.1.0 xdm/kdm hangs: Xserver problem: more specific information.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Presnell <srp@zgi.com>
List: tech-x11
Date: 07/28/2001 14:51:31
Scott Presnell wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>         I've pulled down the XF4.1.0 binaries for NetBSD 1.5.1 and installed
> them on a freshly installed machine (see below). I needed some form of XF4
> because I have a Nvidia GeForce2 MX card.
>

> (I realize it may not be xdm itself, but instead the X server, but I thought
> it best to describe it as I can observe it).
>
> I can provide XF86Config, Xfree86 logfile, but so far nothing tricky or suspicious.

OK.  I can be much more specific now. The problem lies with the Xserver, fairly
reproducible: if one kills the Xserver with SIGHUP two (or sometimes more) times,
or login/logout within three cycles, this machine will hang.

downgrading to 4.0.3+ as found on ftp.netbsd.org in arch/i386/, or
4.0.2 (for NetBSD 1.5) as found on ftp.xfree86.org results in a working system
that doesn't foul on reboot or killing the Xserver.  Unfortunately I'm then stuck
with the incomplete palette restore (dim virtual wscons screens) problem: better
that than machine hangs...

If someone has a NVidia GeForce2 MX working with XF4.1.0, under NetBSD 1.5.1 I'd
like to hear about it just in case it's a configuration issue that I didn't cover
in my attempts to debug this.

	Thanks.

	- Scott

My graphics card as recognized by the Xserver it is:

(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) NVidia GeForce2 MX rev 178, Mem @ 0xfd000000/24, 0xe8000000/27(II)
NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA128, RIVATNT, RIVATNT2,
        RIVATNT2 (A), RIVATNT2 (B), RIVATNT2 (Ultra), RIVATNT2 (Vanta),
        RIVATNT2 M64, RIVATNT2 (Integrated), GeForce 256, GeForce DDR,
        Quadro, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 GTS (rev 1), GeForce2 ultra,
        Quadro 2 Pro, GeForce2 MX, GeForce2 MX DDR, Quadro 2 MXR,
        GeForce 2 Go, GeForce3, GeForce3 (rev 1), GeForce3 (rev 2),
        GeForce3 (rev 3)
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Chipset GeForce2 MX found