Subject: Re: Problems restoring the palette under NetBSD
To: None <devel@xfree86.org>
From: Marc Aurele La France <tsi@ualberta.ca>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/15/2001 21:51:10
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Florian St=F6hr wrote:

> > This is a fault of the wscons driver under NetBSD. wscons is not taking=
> > good enough snapshot of *all* the VGA and extended VGA registers and ot=
her
> > necessary state.

> > Luke Mewburn (lukem@netbsd.org) can reliably replicate this issue using=
 his
> > Dell laptop, which IIRC has an ATI video adapter. It causes purple text
> > splotches on his 1600x1400 LCD display.

> > > after importing XFree86 4.1.0 into NetBSD's X11 sources at the weeken=
> > > there have been reports about problems to restore the palette on syst=
ems
> > > using all kind of NVidia boards. As a result of this problem the scre=
en
> > > stays black if the X11 server quits or you switch to a text console w=
hile
> > > it is running. AFAIK this problem shows up under FreeBSD, too.
> > > Is this a know problem with "nv" driver? Does it happen under Linux, =
too?

> This problem happend with my i128 chip (NVidia) under NetBSD 1.5 too. The
> palette got darker after the first start and black after the second one.
> I fixed the problem playing around with ramdac settings, perhaps you try =
this
> ... but that cannot be a true 'fix' of the problem.

> The problem doesn't only appear with the 4.x version, but also with the
> original X version that comes with 1.5

> I once tried under FreeBSD and the problem didn't appear, but perhaps dis=
play
> settings were a bit different there, so this might be wrong.

One possible explanation for this problem is that there are a number OS
dependencies in the compilation of the vgahw module, which most drivers
use to save/restore the adapter state found on server entry.  If using a
vgahw module compiled for another OS works, then removing those OS
dependencies should be explored.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  tsi@ualberta.ca          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |
XFree86 Core Team member.  ATI driver and X server internals.