Subject: Serial Mouse buttons
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: tech-x11
Date: 06/11/2001 12:44:16
Hello,
   This may be the wrong list but how does X11 know when a serial mouse
button has been pressed?  I would assume that there is a protocol handled
in XFree86 (I'm using port-i386) for talking to a serial mouse.

   Specifically, I'm looking for the code in xsrc.tgz that talks to the
/dev/tty?? port to which the mouse is connected and sends the event up to
the higher layers of X11.

   Why am I looking for this you might ask.  Well, I'm looking to find a
way to reboot a headless/keyboardless server and a serial mouse button
press might just be the easiest way to do it.  Since Xfree86 connects to
serial mice using /dev/tty?? the understanding of the serial mouse protocol
seems like it would be in XFree, not a kernel driver.

   Thanks in advance...

PS
   Please respond to my e-mail address since I'm not on this list.  Thanks
again.

"Luke, you're going to find that many | Steven Grunza
of the truths we cling to depend      | voice:  (856) 787 - 2759
greatly on our own point of view."    | fax:    (856) 866 - 2033
  - Obi Wan Kenobi, Return of the Jedi | mailto:steven_grunza@ieee.org