Subject: Re: X on NetBSD...
To: Andrew Ambrose <aambrose@ennovatenetworks.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-x11
Date: 03/01/2001 00:24:21
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Andrew Ambrose wrote:
> changed the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc to read fvwm &
>
> Ran XF86conf util to config the XF86Config file...
>
> when I type startx.. I get a black screen...
>
> what did I miss on this process...
>
> fvwm is under this directory /usr/local/libexec

I assume your X setup works. To use fvwm as window manager, create a file
.xinitrc in your homedirectory (if you use startx) or .xsession (if you
use xdm). Put the following into the file

	fvwm

Just the command, no "&" after it. Of course you can start some xterms
before, but note that everything but the window manager (or other last
program) must be sent to background with &:

	xterm -geometry +0+0
	xclock -geometry -9+0
	fvwm

Make sure the file is exectuable (chmod +x).

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>